Professional Services

A list and description of the professional services employed for construction work and an explanation of the professional drawings required for your project


It is important to employ a professional who is familiar with the type of work you are undertaking and local planning and building control. It is also important to select a designer who you can have a good working relationship with, someone who understands your design vision.




Professional drawings should be produced for any substantial work and will often be required for planning permission. The professional you choose will depend on the size and scale of the work you are undertaking. Architects are trained in areas of conceptual design and they have a vast knowledge of building matters including Building Regulations, construction materials and an understanding of the appropriate style and design. When choosing a designer it is important to find out what area of architecture they specialise in. As the nature of construction is varied, they may not cover all aspects of architecture. Some will not touch domestic projects and others may not be interested in commercial projects.


Structural Engineer


A structural engineer has responsibility for providing drawings and calculations that ensure the stability of the structure and foundations works with the design. The information they provide will be included with the design sent to the planning office for planning permission.  The architect may engage a structural engineer on your behalf, although you may employ the services of a structural engineer for inspecting a defect or for the design of a single beam.




Surveyors have good knowledge of construction and can be used for routine alterations and advice on repairs. There are different surveyors for the various elements of the construction process on domestic and commercial projects, these include:

  • Building Surveyor - undertake condition surveys on the likes of building structure, roof and foundations
  • Quantity Surveyor - provide a list, quantities and costs of materials required based on the architectural drawings
  • Land Surveyor – provide feasibility surveys covering site measurements and boundaries, soil samples and details of local infrastructure
  • Property Surveyor – carry out condition surveys of buildings for valuations. The surveys cover periodic reports, room measurements, maintenance schedules and inspection dates


Mechanical & Electrical Engineer


These engineers provide schematic drawings and technical specifications if you’re planning to use sub-contractors such as plumbers and electricians. The electrical engineer will determine the amount of current required, the equipment required and information on your power supply feed. The mechanical engineer will determine the size of the boiler required for heating and hot water in the property.


Planning Drawings


The designer you choose will be required to produce sets of drawings for planning permission which will presented to the local planning & building control department. Costs will vary based on the size of the project. e.g. for a substantial project like a loft conversion a fee of £2,500 will provide you a survey, drawings, engineer’s details and a site inspection, ready for a planning permission application.
The drawings can contain a combination of the following:

Location Plan – identifying the property, land and the boundaries surrounding it. The plan will include adjoining properties and local road layout.

Existing Site Layout – showing the actual building or buildings that the planning application refers to including any other structures (e.g. garages, car spaces and trees.

Proposed Site Layout – will show any new building or an extension to an existing building. It will show access, changes in ground levels, landscape plans, walls, fences and parking facilities.

Floor Plans – showing the floor layout of a new build or the new work to be carried out on an existing building.

Elevations – will show all elevations of the property identifying the planned work on the existing structure and the materials to be used. It will also show the external appearance to adjacent buildings.

Cross Section Drawings – are not usually required for planning permission but can assist in the building construction and as a basis for costing.

Please Log In


Be a star, leave feedback!

Don't forget to rate your experience. Log in and enter the name of the company you wish to leave feedback for